Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Inquiry-Based Learning

Inquiry-Based Learning is when a teacher gives the central attention in the classroom to the students.  The teacher does not lecture, supply students with directions or provide detailed information about the lesson.  Instead the teacher provides the students with questions and opportunities to question the basic information for the lesson to go down the path that the students choose for their learning.  A great content area for this type of learning is Science and Mathematics, but really Social Studies and areas of Language Arts can work with this teaching strategy as well.
As a fieldwork/student teacher, I have used Inquiry-Based Learning in Science, Mathematics, and Social Studies lesson planning and implementing.  During my Seeds Unit in Science I worked closely with students to use the 5E Learning Cycle:
This model for learning works well with students, the only difficulties I had were based on students who I only worked with for a short period of time.  In my future classroom, I plan to use this technique and through many applications, I assume there will be more acceptance and excellence in an Inquiry-Based Learning environment.  This is because it allows students to think for themselves, really understand a concept without having to memorize, and work in a collaborative environment with their peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment